Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Counting My Blessings

The other day I was invited to attend a fashion show for the March of Dimes. It was a fundraiser for them, the "models" were children who were born weeks or months prematurely. My niece, was in the show and both she and her brother were born 9 weeks before their due date. To both their and the family's good fortune, the two of them are now healthy and happy 4 1/2 year olds.

During the show, children ranging from 6 months to 7 years paraded their fashions for all. The children were absolutely adorable and to see how far each of them have come was amazing. As a parent, I sometimes forget that the struggles I have with my boys are tiny, as both of them were born full-term, are extremely talented in academics & sports, and they are fine young men.

It is an eye opening experience to see the hurdles these families must conquer just to bring their child home. I pray that I never have to experience the illness of one of my sons or hold the hand of a friend whose child is sick, but I will be there to comfort and support any and all of them. May God bless all the children and their families.

No comments: