Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sad Words - With A Message

I met with a man today that I was first introduced to about 8 years ago. He is an older man, much older, older than my father & almost as old as my grandfather would have been. He is a wonderful man but recent years have not been kind to him. It is sad to see what old age does to someone. Luckily he has a very loving family that cares for him and his wife when they are unable to do for themselves.

He told me of how he spends less time behind the desk at the Legion. Part of the reason is because of his health and the other is because in his words, "They just don't appreciate how much I do for them." Those are the saddest words I have ever heard him speak. I understand those words too. Too many people these days take for granted volunteer work that others do.

Instead of appreciating or lending a hand, many ask "why did you do it that way, you should have done it this way". Our society has gotten into a very bad rut, we don't appreciate what we have; our personal possessions, our families, our neighbors and friends and the people around us that do because they can, not because they are paid to.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank: our volunteer firefighters, our volunteer EMTs, our volunteer scout leaders, our volunteers at our schools, at our hospitals, civic organizations, and the volunteers all over our nation. If I have forgotten anyone, I'm sorry, it was not intentional, your work is appreciated and may you continue to bless us all with your spirit of giving.

No comments: